Since 1962, The Arc of York County's Camp Pennwood has been providing a wide range of summer camp activities, such as swimming, arts and crafts, music, sports, and games.
Camp Pennwood is a one-of-a-kind program whose goals and objectives include:
The Camp Pennwood experience results in many positive outcomes which are especially important for individuals with cognitive and other disabilities. These outcomes include:
- To provide age-appropriate programs for children and teens, emphasizing personal, socialization, and recreational skills that can be carried over into daily lives;
- To provide maximum physical and mental stimulation during the summer months, thereby minimizing regression in skills;
- To provide family members with a valuable respite service, as well as a developmental experience for individuals with disabilities;
- To provide campers with disabilities contact with non-disabled volunteer peers, as well as providing staff and volunteers with in-service training, and;
- To offer a variety of camp components each session, including indoor and outdoor recreation, self-care instruction, arts and crafts, and music.
- Age-appropriate inclusion with peer volunteers;
- Improvements in overall health, fine and gross motor skills, and general coordination;
- Improved socialization and cognitive skills;
- Increased community awareness;
- Improved independence skills, and self-reliance, which results in an improvement in self-esteem, and;
- Increased understanding of the environment.
The Arc of York County is committed to offering a variety of activities, programs, and special events to assist individuals with intellectual disabilities meet the challenges and opportunities that each of us encounter throughout our lives. Camp Pennwood offers a highly structured summer camp program for children with disabilities- a program that they might not otherwise experience. At the same time, it provides valuable opportunities for integration and inclusion through participation in activities with persons of all abilities.
Camp Pennwood has a dedicated staff, many with backgrounds that include Special Education, who update parents and caregivers on their child's progress throughout the camp season. There is one staff members for every 2.5 campers, ensuring that each person receives the individual attention he or she requires. Most importantly, Camp Pennwood gives parents the security of knowing that their children are participating in a traditional camp experience provided by professionals who put the children's needs first.
In 2023, Camp Pennwood will run from July 10 to August 12.